- By-verse Notes on Matthew
While I was teaching in Myanmar/Burma in March 2019, some of my long-term, advanced students suggested that I go through the New Testament and provide basic notes, which they could then be able print as a study Bible. They specifically asked that I focus on issues that are a major area of confusion in the churches where they work. Therefore, the following commentary will focus on these five primary areas:
- What is the nature of God’s grace and how is it received?
- What is God’s plan of salvation and the clear message of the Gospel?
- What is the Bible’s teaching on the security and assurance of the believer?
- How is the believer to live the Christian life and be effective in witness/service?
- What does prophecy say about the last days and the order of end-times events?
These notes are purposely brief in nature. This work is not intended to be a complete commentary. All through the work I have kept in mind those who live in remote areas of our world, who labor to both understand and to teach others the Word of God. They do not have access to Bible school or seminary training. Neither are they able to afford the vast array of books available to pastors and teachers who live in more advanced countries.
I encourage all who utilize these notes to study them with an open Bible. Pray for the illumination of the Holy Spirit (Eph. 1:15–23; 3:14–21) as you study. Read the context of the passage carefully. Look up and compare the
references that are provided. Above all, let the Word of God, and not these notes, guide your insight into God’s Word. As I always tell my students: “Never take my word for anything; search the Scriptures and prove what is
true” (Acts 17:10–12; 1 John 4:1).
Stay tuned for the rest of the New Testament!