Warning sections are correctly applied to believers, not to those who are not believers.
Danger of losing something they already have Heb 6:18-19
Danger of the unguarded moment: something drifts away
pararreo-something that happens in an unguarded moment
Heb 4:1-12 fear of falling short of a promise, due to an unguarded moment. Those promises of God are sure and steadfast, but we can give them up by failing to claim them in an unguarded moment.
Heb 6:1-6 when you believe in Jesus, you begin toward the crown, the spiritual life. If you fall away, you can’t start over, you can’t take away the shame and disgrace. We can be forgiven, but we can’t reclaim that opportunity. We are under accountability and we will stand before Christ for what we’ve done with what He’s given us. It is not about sin, it is about lost opportunity, lost reward. Heb 6:4-5 only applies to believers
Time must be redeemed, but time lost is lost forever.
Heb 10:37-39, Rom 1:17 Gal 3:11 Hab 2:4 The Christian who turns from the plan of God will find increasing discipline and could possibly result in an early death. 1co 5:1-5 he is still saved
A soldier who runs from battle may overcome his fear, but he will always have the shame of that retreat.
Seven unguarded moments in the bible:
1. Frustration and anger: num 20:10-11 brought Moses to defeat
2. Fear: Israel at Cannan num 13:30-33
3. Greed: Achan Jos 7:19-21
Others always suffer from our unguarded moments.
4. Lust: Sampson and Delilah jud 16:16-20
5. Self Confidence: Mat 26:69-75 Peter denied Jesus
6. Bull-headedness: Act 21:1-40 Paul went when he was told not to go. Act 22:18
7. Loss of focus: Church of Ephesus Rev 2:4
Three dangers of this congregation:
1. Danger of pursuing doctrine at the expense of devotion, balance is important
2. Danger of Christian service at the cost of Christian sanctification Eph 6:17, Heb 4:12 We must make sure the Word is having its affect in our lives before we tell others to let it have its affect in theirs.
3. Danger of developing in our study and service a critical spirit instead of a compassionate spirit
Watch out for seeking glory instead of grace
1Co 16:13-14 a man of virtue, a gentleman, courage in battle, put character above compromise, God’s power is perfected in our weakness, turn our weakness over to Him.
Do everything you do, make sure the guiding motive is love.
We have an opportunity to grow as we serve one another.